Wednesday, April 19, 2006

A day to remember...



Seeing as this is my first genuine attempt at creating a blog or something even close to it, dont expect anything fantastic as I wouldnt want to let anyone down.
I thought I would start off with simply rehashing something that happened in history today April 19th.

1993
The siege at Waco, Texas, ended when FBI moved into the Branch Davidian compound with tear gas and cult members set fire to the compound killing over 80 people.

1995
The Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, Okla., was destroyed by a car bomb. 168 people, including 19 children were killed in the worst terrorist attack in U.S. history up to that time.

2005
Germany's Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger became Pope Benedict XVI.


So it seems as though today really has some violent recent history as well as a rebirth of sorts for the Catholic Church. I hate thinking that the only news we hear is bad news but this is typical of what we tend to see on the evening news while flipping through the channels.
In 93 I recall seeing the Waco standoffs but little did I know all the meaning behind it. I looked at the situation as little more than a crazy cult of religious nuts gone askew.

Now looking back and actually reading up about the situation there were many lives that were affected many of which were negatively affected. When you think about all the aspects in which the whole ordeal touched individuals, from those sitting in front of their TVs shaking their heads in disgust as the complex is ablaze, to those who were actually there trying to negotiate with irrationality, it seems disheartening in a way. Why is it that you cant stop time and help, or just try to do something differently?

Take a moment and think, now how many lives were lost through the whole ordeal, especially the younger victims. Its mind boggling to really think about that, but you have to think that they could have been something in this world, but all theyre now known for is their name attached to such a negative piece of time.

Taking a quick little trip down to 1995 when pogs were the hot commodity, not Pokemon or Yugi-Oh. Pop in some Hootie and the Blowfish I Only Wanna Be With You and just take a step back for a moment. Oh, you dont like Hootie? Well perhaps in the vast archive of music theres something 95 that will get you in that time frame.
Ok so in 95 we see a disgusting terror attack on Oklahoma Citys Alfred P. Murrah Federal building. This attack killed 168 people. Frankly it takes your breath away when you imagine each of those people as babies, walking and chatting amongst each other, then their life ending in a blink.

I recall seeing the pain that all the families went through during this time, its even more vivid in my mind than that of which occurred in 93. I hate to think that society breeds hate but what can you really say when you mindfully go out and make a bomb to blow up a building. This hits a bit close to home as were still reeling off the 911 tragedy in 2001.
I cant speak for everyone but I know that I try to look at things in a different light now. I mean what is really a suicide or terror attack, perhaps a failed cry for help?

Not everyone will get along but you can always hope that by you doing something different that one day that you can touch a person in a way that theyll consider doing something just a little different. Talk to that neighbor thats right next door, maybe they lost their job today and could use a friendly hello. Say hi to that stranger on the corner as you make your way to Starbucks, what if thats the only nice thing hell hear that day?

Were not all perfect but I think we can all make a difference in each others lives, I know I feel that if I can have a positive effect on just one person that my life isnt in vein. If I can help one person Ive done something right in the world, in society.

Speaking of righteousness today, last year to be exact a new leader of the Catholic Church was selected. Pope Benedict XVI became the 265th reigning Pope and took over for the only Pope Ive really known much about, Pope John Paul II.

It was an interesting occurrence to see thousands of people make their way to the Vatican to take part in all of the ceremonies for the Papal election. I should also say that it was even more touching to see the lines to wish and pray for the deceased Pope John Paul II a safe ever after.

I suppose this would be the best time to wrap things up and until next time Ill leave you with a quote that you can take with you.


The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. - Arthur C. Clarke

No comments: